Today is the last day of the holidays here in Italy, we’re celebrating Epiphany and then, tomorrow, we’re going to put down all our Christmas decorations. *sighs* January 7 is probably the saddest day of the year for me, since I was a child! I finally took some me-time during the last few days to think about my word for 2017 and I’m happy to report I finally found one: magic.
As you probably already know, I’m a big fan of Ali Edwards and I’ve taken her course called One Little Word in 2015 and 2016, but I noticed I skipped a bunch of prompts, because they didn’t reasonate with me and my style, since I prefer doing it on a journal instead of a scrapbook. It wasn’t an easy decision (I was so tempted to use my Christmas money!), but I ended up not purchasing the class for 2017. I’ll feel myself lost in a couple of weeks, I already know it, but I really wanted to save my money and go on through the previous prompts to find the ones that were right for me and repeat them with my new word.
Now, why MAGIC? Well, my previous words have been IMMERSE and LESS and they had been chosen because I needed some guidance with my studies and future career. I had to immerse myself into my bachelor thesis in 2015 and give myself less distractions in order to study more efficiently in 2016. I’d still need some guidance in this part of my life, but I wanted to choose a word only for myself and, hopefully, magic will help me to reconnect with my own passions in 2017.
I got burned out during the last few months and I ended up consuming consuming consuming without creating anymore. I stopped writing (here and on Middle-earth News) and I procrastinated reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and the 3 Pottermore ebooks, plus I postponed my rereading of The Lord of the Rings, to name a few. I only watched the Extended Edition of The Battle of the Five Armies once and, wow, it’s not like me! Finally, I panicked a little bit after realising I wasn’t excited for Fantastic Beasts as much as I hoped to be. Which is weird, because my fandoms are what actually makes me happy and they always helped me during difficult moments of my life, I can’t let them go this way!
I decided to set some goals in order to help myself sticking with the MAGIC project.
- Reread The Lord of the Rings in March to celebrate #MiddleEarthMarch with fellow Tolkien lovers on Instagram
- Follow Corey Olsen’s lectures on a regular basis (I already added them on my calendar!)
- Read more books about and by Tolkien (I have a whole Amazon wishlist dedicated to it)
- Play LOTRO during my free time instead of feeding my addition for YouTube videos about planners. They basically took away the majority of my free time in 2016 and made me spend too much money in stationery, because I constantly felt the need to own more pretty stuff and have more planners.
- Finish Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and read the Pottermore ebooks
- Follow Pottermore on a regular basis
- Surround myself with fellow Potterheads and Tolkien fans (shoutout to Ziba on Instagram and Cherry on YouTube)
- Downsize my TBR list of books I purchased on my Kindle
Here are my personal goals, but concerning my blog and social media, I decided to carry my 2016 word with me a little more to help myself caring LESS about my fear of missing out (FOMO).
- I’m going to write here on the blog when I’ll feel like it, without treating it like a job anymore. I’ll try to publish my blog posts every Tuesday, but you could expect less of them (or more), I don’t want to force myself with a rigid schedule this year.
- After many thoughts, I decided to let go my obsessive schedule and marketing strategy on Twitter and I’m going to use it to communicate with fellow bloggers and book lovers and share my thoughts, like I used to do a couple of years ago.
- Pinterest will remain, but I don’t know if I’ll be very active there again.
- Instagram is going to be my main focus and the best way to reach me out. I finally came back to my old username @alicegreenleaf and I’m really enjoying the Stories feature now that I have a new smartphone, I’m trying to use it for little announcements (like new blog posts) and BTS. Way easier than trying to build an audience from scratch on Snapchat, that’s why I keep it private.
- Finally I’m going to keep publishing my productivity posts (new and old) on Medium once a week, or so.
I made so many new blog friends in 2016 and I couldn’t be more grateful! Thank you for supporting me and my craziness, you’re absolutely the best! ❤
Now I want to know YOUR goals! :) Feel free to share them down below.